Client download configuration
Download behaviour on the client side is configured with the net_clientDownload cvar:
- 0: no downloads. if the server you are connecting to requires paks that you don't have, the connection will fail with an error message
- 1: ask. any time some pak files would need to be downloaded, you will get prompted about it. this is the default
- 2: always download. you will still get prompted if the server wants to send you binary game code. ( which you should only ever agree to if you really trust the server admin )
Server download configuration
There are no builtin downloads. All downloads are done through http/ftp URLs handed over to the clients. The clients however can stay connected while downloading your files before joining the game. The base game provides a simple backend to setup downloads. Mods can modify and extend how the server decides how and for who to provide downloads.
- 0: this server doesn't provide any downloads
1: any download request will simply forward the client to a web page defined by si_serverURL ( client will shutdown and open the page)
- 2: provide a number of downloads for the files this server is running. See other cvars below
net_serverDlBaseURL: holds the base URL to the files to be downloaded. The final URLs will be constructed as net_serverDlBaseURL/pakfilepath ( where pakfilepath is defined by net_serverDlTable )
net_serverDlTable: a list of pak files for which download is provided, seperated by ;. The paths should include the fs_game path ( 'base/', or your mod path .. 'base/myd3map.pk4;d3xp/myroemap.pk4' ). You can also set net_serverDlTable to * to mark all paks that may be requested for download.
You will need to be running an ftp or http server to serve those files. Currently the Quake4 server doesn't provide an integrated way to serve the files itself. If you are looking for a lightweight simple http server, I recommend thttpd.
NOTE: AutoDownload will not work on files that are named like official assets paks ( pak[0-9]*.pk4 ). You should use a different naming in your mods and custom maps.